Re: Debian Free Documentation Guidelines was: License of old GNU Emacs manual

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
As for what could compose the DFDG, there is a farily good set of ideas on
Manoj's page (which are in line with the DFSG):

< begin quote >
Freedoms for Documentation

Analogous to the software program freedoms, we need to articulate the
freedoms required for the subset of software called documentation.

   1. The freedom to read the text, for any purpose.
   2. The freedom to study how the text is written, and adapt it to your
needs. Access to the text in the preferred form for modification is a
precondition for this. This includes the ability to modify the work to fit
in low memory situations, reference cards, PDA's, embedded devices, etc.

And here the whole thing falls on its face: As I read it in the other messages, GFDL docs with (big) invariant sections must be rejected under this point, thus adopting such a policy wouldn't change the situation much.

Regards, David