Re: Non-DDs as official Debian package maintainers

[resent with correct From:]

On Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:36 AM, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
>
>> MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
[...]
>> Tools like qa.debian.org tracks maintainers, not "signers". So for
>> each package I believe I must find the package in
>> packages.qa.debian.org, pick the upload message, decipher the GPG
>> signature... Right?
>
> No, you find the package's control file and look at the Uploader.
> packages.qa.debian.org shows this in "Co-maintainers" at present,
> for some reason.

Erm... because that's how policy defines the field. Section 5.6.3 -
http://www.us.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Uploaders -
to be precise.

Uploaders lists addresses which are not the address listed in Maintainer:
but from which uploads should not be considered NMUs. That effectively makes
those addressess co-maintainers (admittedly it may require a small leap to
extend that to "maintainer is a mailing list with named developers as
co-maintainers", but it's really not that difficult and more of a hop than a
leap).

Regards,

Adam