Re: Non-DDs as official Debian package maintainers

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:

> MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > Perhaps a sponsor who does not intend to sponsor the package
> > any more should open a "RFS" bug in WNPP? No package should
> > be introduced to the archive by a one-upload sponsor.
>
> ...and how do I locate the sponsor(s) after loosing interest in the
> package but before a new sponsoring deal is setup?

I don't understand this question. How do you locate any MIA DD?

> Tools like qa.debian.org tracks maintainers, not "signers". So for each
> package I believe I must find the package in packages.qa.debian.org,
> pick the upload message, decipher the GPG signature... Right?

No, you find the package's control file and look at the Uploader.
packages.qa.debian.org shows this in "Co-maintainers" at present,
for some reason.

[...]
> And I believe that to be sane: While sponsoring, the sponsor takes the
> responsibility that the non-DD cannot. So that responsibility is what
> we want noted in the maintainer field.

DDs should not steal credit from maintainers. Sponsors should
take responsibility for checking and vouching for what they
upload, but that does not make them the package maintainer.

Co-maintenance could not prove packaging skills, because you
are fixing bugs for the NM. It is far better for someone to
learn by fixing it themselves (with as much help as you are
able to give, of course). Hopefully, they will upload on
their own eventually.

That is why I am against requiring maintainers to all end @debian.org.
If any such requirement were added, I would try setting up
mjr-sponsoree@d.o forwardings to screw that requirement.

I am in favour of sponsors being listed in the control file,
but they should not take credit for work they aren't doing.
If you are requiring sponsors to do all maintainer things,
then you are effectively abolishing sponsorship. What is the
non-DD maint then? A DD's lackey?

Wouldn't just requiring sponsors as uploaders satisfy your
need to find the sponsor?

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/