Abandoned PC's for a 3rd World development project - open source in African communities

Hello all

I represent a company called Bluescreen. Our company is a student project whose aim is to create solutions on Debian for educational and SME environments. In practice, we export refurbished PCs installed with Debian or Ubuntu into Kenya, where the PCs will be used in schools, churches, healthcare centres, libraries, internet cafés, etc. Some computers are bought for private use.

Our long-term plan is to establish production in Nairobi, Kenya - manufacturing affordable PC sets and giving Debian/(compatible)/Linux support for other manufacturers and the local enterprise. We are planning to focus on making laptops and livingroom-fitting PC sets for home and office use. Equipped with Debian and/or "Debian custom distribution". Beyond the event horizon, we could also tailor Debian on embedded devices, such as ARM and MIPS -based boards.

In coming years, unused PC's are becoming a problem in volume. PC's dumped by the enterprise and the goverment most usually are still applicable in office work, and we all know that with Debian, their life can be extended by years.

In countries like Kenya, there's a surprisingly large demand for ICT infrastructure. Buildup of ICT infrastructure and local ICT production is seen as a way out of poverty - and open source production model is seen as a way to become independent from the colonial setting, in terms of IP.

Secondhand computers have formed to become an affordable way to build computer classes, internet cafes and home offices... price is a factor.

Until more affordable PC sets become available in Kenya, secondhand PC's serve the demand of the ICTs among the grand public.

We welcome all abandoned PC's above the power of Pentium 2 333 Mhz and 64 MB RAM (preferrably P3's, Celerons and AMDs)in our Finnish address:
Perjalantie 8 as 21
11100 Riihimäki
FINLAND
(address is going to be updated soon)

We clean up the hard drives by zero-filling them. We can also pick up a small quantity of computers from a location in Helsinki area.

Best regards

Tuomas Santakallio
and the team of Bluescreen

Making a better, more "open" world

We're using the PC:s for Community multimedia centres:

http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=1263&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

Some of our partner organizations:
http://kilinux.org
http://www.schoolnetafrica.net