Re: Branden's mail policies

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:30:31AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> I am sick and tired of hearing this argument.
>
> Guess how many choices I have for broadband where I live.
>
> The answer: ONE.

you also have access to any of the hundreds of email service providers
on the net, with secure access methods including authenticated SMTP,
UUCP, encrypted tunnels, and more.

as a debian developer you also have free access to the batched smtp
service (over ssh, IIRC) that someone set up a few years ago on one of
the debian mail servers.  so does Branden.

> And thank goodness I pay the extra $5/mo for a static IP from them,
> because theirs is one of the SMTP servers that sucks.

good for you.  you have nothing to complain about, then.

> The fact is, DULs as a blacklist is stupid. How an IP address is
> assigned to a computer has nothing whatsoever to do with what virus
> may be installed on it, which spam gang has made it into a clonebot,
> or whether it's got an open relay of some sort.

that may be true in theory, but in practice it is absolutely false.

out of every million dynamic IP addresses, well over 999000 of them will
be windows boxes. almost all of them will be infected with at least one
(and usually several) spammer virus or trojan.

blocking mail out-of-hand from these cesspits makes perfect practical
sense.

the handful of linux or *bsd or whatever boxes on dynamic IPs are
statistically insignificant. and even less significant are the few that
are correctly configured.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)