Re: Branden's mail policies

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 02:12:55PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 05:04:32AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Sunday June 19 2005 3:55 am, martin f krafft wrote:
> > > also sprach Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> [2005.06.19.1242 +0200]:

> > > Get yourself a separate mail provider then. gmx.net, albeit German,
> > > offers SASL-authenticated SMTP access. I am sure others do too.
> >
> > Why pay someone else to do what I can do myself for free?
>
> because you can't do it yourself for free - at least not on a
> dialup/dynamic IP address.
>
> why can't you do it yourself? because lots of mail servers block all
> mail from dynamic IP addresses. regardless of the rights and/or wrongs
> of this, it is THEIR server, so it runs by THEIR rules. you have no say
> in it. get used to that fact.
>

> to deliver mail to hosts that block mail from dynamic IP addresses, you
> have two basic choices:
>
> 1. get a static IP address.  this may cost more than a dynamic IP.
>
> 2. route your mail via another mail server with a static IP. there are
> dozens of secure ways of achieving this. there may be extra costs.

3. Campaign to isolate those blocking happy servers. I reject at SMTP time
any mail to which I can't answer, with a polite 550 message explaining
that the server is blocking legitimate mail arbitrarily. That way the user
of the server at least realize that his mail server is dropping legitimate
mail addressed to her/him. Too many users have no idea that their mail
servers block legitimate email rutinarily and in fact complain or switch
services when made aware of the fact.

Blu.