Re: Branden's mail policies

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 04:35:31PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:35:50PM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> > 1) The Internet is peer-to-peer. You want to break that?
> > 2) Some of the ISPs I've used refuse to relay my messages when they
> > claim to be from my dropbear address instead of the ISPs domain.
> > 3) If I can't afford DSL or cable, or it's not available in my area, I'm
> > stuck on dial-up. What difference does that make to a mail spool?
> Your points are all valid, yet they are unrelated to the Subject of
> your mail.

Thanks.

> The question is: Should the DPL jump through hoops to make sure his
> mails are recieved by people, even if they have other opinions on
> email transports than he has?

It's not especially jumping through hoops and it's in his job as being
our leader and responding to things like as he stated interview
requests, and getting information he wanted on donations.

I suggested ways to get around it in the original mail:
	- get a non-DUL'd IP from his ISP
	- change ISP
	- or if he trusts the current ISP so much use their presumably
	  non-DUL'd smarthost
	- use a different host to relay mail through (e.g. one of the
	  Debian boxes)

It's really not a technical issue at all.  I imagine it's a point of
principle for Branden however it's one I consider inappropriate for
someone holding the post of DPL especially when they then name and shame
the recipients publically for offering to interview him/collect donation
information.

Simon.

--
 -+//    "Bet ya five dollars I get off" - Pusher to Mulder (3x17)     \\+-