New Maintainers

This is a summary of the AM report for Week Ending 29 May 2005.
2 applicants became maintainers.

Frans Pop <fjp>

  I'm 38 and have a degree in business information technology at university
  level (but that was a long time ago). Computers have always been a hobby
  for me (starting with the Sinclair ZX80). I'm currently working as a
  free-lance application consultant, nursing an administration system in
  it's final year for an insurance company (Cobol/IDMS :-P on an IBM
  mainframe).

  I got started with linux mainly because I got bored with not being able to
  look "under the hood" anymore with Windows. Having only some very basic
  Unix experience from a job where they had a Dec Ultrix machine, the
  beginning was a challenge.

  By chance I started in the right place with Debian Slink. I have tried
  some other distros since, but always got into trouble with their
  configuration management systems. The clear packaging in Debian, and the
  fact that I was forced to read manpages to get the configuration right
  made Debian somehow more accessible.

  I'm currently involved in the debian-installer project. My main focus is
  the manual (coordination and translation into Dutch), but I've also
  contributed some patches to the installer itself and done a lot of
  installation tests.

  My goals as a developer? Give something back to the community and have fun
  doing it. My plans are to keep working on the installer and, as I use KDE
  quite heavily and like it, help out there (they tell me they can use some
  help doing bug triage).

  And who knows what else...

Adeodato Simó <adeodato>

  I came to know Linux during my first year at University, where I still
  study Computer Science, and I did my first install of Debian (Woody)
  at home on Dec 2002. I quickly learnt to use and to appreciate the new
  system, but I also discovered and found appealing how it was produced:
  in a collaborative fashion among people from all over the world. Then,
  I learnt _why_ was that scheme possible at all: because of the freedom
  that authors had given to their software -- which strikes me as a
  powerful reason to value that freedom.

  My first steps in Debian were with the mutt package, which I
  co-maintain with Marco d'Itri; I remember those first uploads making
  me certainly happy, when seeing my work being useful to others. Then,
  I became a little involved with the KDE packages in Debian, involvement
  which has been growing since then and which now constitutes most of my
  work here. KDE packaging has given me the opportunity to work in a
  team, and I value that. For me, it is highly rewarding to work close
  to other people.

  Also, I like to have a picture of Debian both as a whole and in
  detail. For this, I particularly enjoy learning about other people's
  jobs, e.g., "how do the Release Managers work?" This, aside from
  providing valuable knowledge, allows me to get the big picture a
  little better, of how the big machine that Debian is gets to get
  things done, and to know the internals of other parts of the Project.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/