Re: Advertising on Planet Debian

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 13:46 +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Pascal Hakim wrote:
> > On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 12:04:51PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Sure. The easy thing is to have a wonderful anti-spam "policy" which does
> not work and ask others to start chasing people to collect payment.
>
> That is not the way we were enforcing this policy in the past. The
> policy was there *because* we had a way to enforce it. If we do not
> have any way to enforce it anymore, we should abandon such policy.

Then file a wishlist bugs against www.debian.org and get them to remove
it?

> > > b) Be serious and prevent spam from reaching our lists *much* more
> > > effectively.  What we are doing to fight spam in the lists is
> > > clearly not enough.
> >
> > What we are doing is mostly what the listmasters believe is appropriate.
>
> Unfortunately, what you, listmasters, believe is "appropriate" might
> not be the same as users of the lists consider appropriate. Have you
> ever asked people in the lists how much spam do they want to receive?

We're getting roughly the same amount of people complaining about lists
being too restrictive as people complaining about the list not being
restrictive enough.

I figure that's about the good spot to sit in?

> > I'm at the point, where I believe that having much stricter spam
> > checking results in too many false positives, or causes our users more
> > trouble than its worth.
> >
> > If there was a perfect solution to spam, we'd all be using it already.
>
> There isn't any Final Ultimate Solution to the Spam Problem [*], but that's
> not an excuse to not improve filtering at lists.debian.org, where it can
> be improved. For example:
>
> * Razor does not work properly yet (still receive messages in razor from l.d.o)
> * Pyzor does not work properly yet (still receive messages in pyzor from l.d.o)

There's a whole bunch of messages in the junk folder that were caught by
razor.

> * Are you already using greylisting?

DSA seems to not like the idea of running a full DB on murphy. This
restricts the kinds of greylisting we can do. This is something I'd like
to move forward to, but will take a while.

> * Are you already using the DCC?

No.