Re: GFDL freedoms

--- Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> [Nathanael Nerode]
> > Suppose the GCC manual was not licensed for use in essays on the
> > economics of free software.  (It actually provides some great
> > examples of funding methods, and quoting some of the sections on
> > various features to go with the information on how they were funded
> > would be quite useful.) Wham, we lose freedom.  Oh, wait -- it
> isn't
> > licensed for such use.
>
> As far as I know, quoting is covered within the fair use rights, and
> do not have to be covered by the license to be allowed.  It is
> covered
> by law.

This argument does not hold water because not all jurisdictions have
explicit fair use rights. Therefore it is customary to see to it that
any such rights are explicitly enumerated by the license terms
themselves.

That said, I bet there is an truly good argument out there waiting to
be stated by one side or another to finally settle the damn issue :-).
I've got my thinking cap on but it hasn't kicked in yet; therefore, I
fully admit I don't have anything rock-solid to satisfy the doubting
Thomases (or doubting Glenns, as the case may be ;-) ) at this point.

Please do keep involved with the issue and consider it. I believe it's
important that we think it over and create a solution most beneficial
to Debian and the users' collective best interests.