Re: snapshot.debian.net

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:37:48PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > I wonder if snapshot shouldn't be promoted to an official debian.*org*
> > service in recognition of its value to the project.
>
> Summarizing the discussion so far:
>
>  (1) drain of funds / should Debian really purchase disk space of that size?
> 	(1.4TB, growing and growing...)
>  (2) there is also the morgue (60G but only goes back a few months)
>  (3) snapshot.d.n is useful for security - so far only source was used for
> this purpose
>  (4) for various purposes, old binaries also seem useful; especially since
> the old binaries can not (easily) be regenerated from the sources.
>  (5) the indexing is really nice (compared with what the morgue offers)
>
> Comments:
>  - why not leave it where it is now, just add the DNS alias
>  - How much *does* Debian spend on resources right now?  Not much, afaict -
> most resources are sponsored by somebody (as is current
> snapshot.debian.net).

It sounds to me like snapshot.debian.{org,net} would be a pretty good
candidate for sponsorship by a storage company that is Linux friendly.
Surely Linux talking to one metric crapload of disk would serve as a great
reference site for said company (EMC springs to mind, just because I know
they're a storage company). Perhaps Branden should attempt to approach such
companies with his DPL had on to see if any are interested in coming to the
party?