Re: new queue process tweaks

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 01:08:33PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Andreas Schuldei wrote: [...]
> > Those stalled packages pose serious non-technical problems. I
> > suggest to NOT form the "non-technical committee" but let the
> > ftp-master team try to solve the problem and trust them to call
> > for help if they need it ... or at least give them more time
> > untill you start restructuring.
>
> How much time do you suggest? I'm guessing at waiting up to 3
> months for a package to get through NEW (accept or reject) or
> call for help, but I don't really know if that's right or not. It
> wasn't described in Matthew Garrett's good role description.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, people have worked hard to resolve
> the non-technical problems with mplayer, as described in
> http://people.debian.org/~mjr/mplayer.html, but there is no
> word from ftpmaster on this and no answer to emails from
> Andrea Mennucci or myself. Is there a way we can check
> whether any ftpmaster has reviewed the package or received
> the emails?

Excuse me?

And, of course ftp-masters know about the packages in NEW, we see it
*every time* we do NEW processing, for many months. We're not blind or
something.

Yes, I realize communication has been mostly absent before that, if we
had time to go throught and make a list of exact items what's good and
not good about the package, we'd have done all the work needed to
reject/accept it. There wasn't until recently much news to bring over,
as all the packages in NEW are basicly in the same state -- not being
sufficiently looked at yet, pending review. We could do
auto-notifications after N weeks, but eh, that strikes me as quite
pointless. mplayer simply isn't the highest priority, anything related
to sarge release is much more. Also, as Steve pointed out, regular
NEW processing was for a few months not done at all until the FTP team
was expanded with Joerg Jaspert[1] and myself, again a reason why there
simply was nothing news to report. While I understand that people like
to hear something, even if it's just "We didn't do it yet", the majority
of the FTP team prefers to actually do work in stead of repeating stuff
that's been said before in mails like this and making one's motivation
to do something about this issue at hand deminish, seeing how the news
that *has* recently been posted to the lists is so much appreciated.

--Jeroen

[1] And to Joerg's credit, he did the large majority of it

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl