Re: disbursement approvals and email privacy

* Branden Robinson / Debian Project Leader <leader@debian.org> [2005-04-26 18:45]:
> > Details are attached.
>
> Martin has complained, with some justification, that I may have
> disclosed sensitive information by posting this message to -project
> instead of -private.  (More specifically, he feels I may have
> breached his trust by redistributing a private mail he sent me.)

I don't care about the information that were posted because I have
nothing to hide.  I undertook all of that travel (and much more) and
have receipts for all items.  The point I was trying to make is that I
sent a private message (i.e not to a public mailing list) and it was
forwarded without my permission.  I think that permission should be
sought before doing so [*].

More generally (and probably more importantly), my complaint was also
that I think posting too much information wastes other people's time.
Do you CC your manager at work on every message you send?  Do accounts
at a company send a detailed summary for every single expense to every
employee?  I think a monthly report of expenses and stating something
like "DPL related expenses for Martin" would be enough, and if people
want to know details, they can always ask.  I'm all for transparency
and making information available, but I'm worried about wasting
developers' time by posting useless drivel (or stuff which people
misinterpret, see slashdot).

[*] Also, my complaint was done in private and I didn't give consent
that it may be mentioned on a public list.  I'm not trying to give
Branden a hard time here, by the way; however, having received mail
sent to leader@ for two years, I know that there is a lot sent there
to which the senders would not blindly consent it being forwarded to a
public list.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/