Re: disbursement approvals and email privacy

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 01:10 +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Branden Robinson / Debian Project Leader <leader@debian.org> [2005-04-26 18:45]:
> > > Details are attached.
> >
> > Martin has complained, with some justification, that I may have
> > disclosed sensitive information by posting this message to -project
> > instead of -private.  (More specifically, he feels I may have
> > breached his trust by redistributing a private mail he sent me.)

I agree with Martin that you breached his trust.  I do, however, think
-project is an appropriate list, just perhaps as a monthly summary.

> I don't care about the information that were posted because I have
> nothing to hide.  I undertook all of that travel (and much more) and
> have receipts for all items.  The point I was trying to make is that I
> sent a private message (i.e not to a public mailing list) and it was
> forwarded without my permission.  I think that permission should be
> sought before doing so [*].

That is probably the best policy.  Personally, I feel that it is useful
to say the following:

I have approved the expenditure of GBP 230.37 from the coffers of the
Debian UK Society to Martin Michlmayr for the purposes of reimbursement
for expenses accrued during his time as Debian Project Leader.

I would not even object to saying that they are mostly for
travel-related expenses, but I think that forwarding a private email is
a bad idea.  Besides, we don't really need the details; I don't care
whether Mr. Michlmayr spent AUD 20 or AUD 30 on a phone card, as long as
the money was used appropriately, which you have implied by your consent
as Project Leader.

> I think a monthly report of expenses and stating something
> like "DPL related expenses for Martin" would be enough, and if people
> want to know details, they can always ask.  I'm all for transparency
> and making information available, but I'm worried about wasting
> developers' time by posting useless drivel (or stuff which people
> misinterpret, see slashdot).

I agree that a summary of the month's expenditures would be better than
reporting every time that someone has received money.

--
($_,$a)=split/\t/,join'',map{unpack'u',$_}<DATA>;eval$a;print;__DATA__
M961H<F$@8FAM;"!U<F%O<G-U(#QU<F%O<G-U0&=D:75M<&UC8VUL=G)U;6LN