Re: snapshot.debian.net

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:15:57AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:39:55AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:

> > > I wonder if snapshot shouldn't be promoted to an official debian.*org*
> > > service in recognition of its value to the project.

> > One concern I have, personally, is over precisely how much value
> > snapshot.d.n provides to the *project*, as opposed to providing value to
> > others outside the project.  Since DDs have access to recently removed
> > packages via the morgue on merkel (albeit not indexed nicely the way
> > snapshot.d.n currently is), I really wonder if this service should be a
> > priority for Debian to spend money on while our ports and other areas of
> > core infrastructure are in a state of disarray (IMHO).

> The snapshot service is very valuable when it comes to checking older
> versions of packages.  For example, it is a very, very good help for
> doing security work when older package versions need to be reviewed.

Out of curiosity, do you have a sense of how long after a package is dropped
from the archive that it ceases being useful to you for security research?
I know that all of the stuff I've used snapshot for falls within the scope
of what's kept in the morgue, which is quite a small subset of what snapshot
keeps; snapshot just has much better (i.e., existing) indexing.

> I would love to have it as an official service, and even a backup.  I read
> that it currently takes one TB of disk space.

According to <http://snapshot.debian.net/du/df.png>, it's already exceeded
1.2TB.  That sounds to me like it would be one of the larger direct hardware
purchases ever made by the project, so I do think it's a good idea to ask
how much of this history is truly needed by the project -- the open-ended
1.2TB and growing of snapshot.d.n, or something more modest, like the 60GB
used by the morgue?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer