Re: non-free but distributable packages and kernel firmware

Henning Makholm wrote:
   modified-noncommercial-redistribution

nonprofit-mod-dist

   unmodified-noncommercial-redistribution

nonprofit-dist

   unmodified-commercial-redistribution

free-dist

   all-freedoms-in-the-gfdl

fsf-free

   dfsg-freedom-of-all-runnable-programs

free-software-and-firmware

   dfsg-freedom-of-all-main-cpu-runnable-programs

free-software

There's probably also the "free-use" and "nonprofit-use" properties -- can I use this package without having to worry about the license, can I use it at home, or at work as well? Maybe:

	free-use
	free-dist
	free-local-mod / free-dist-mod

	nonprofit-use
	nonprofit-dist
	nonprofit-local-mod / nonprofit-dist-mod

	fsf-free
	osi-free
	free-software / free-software-and-firmware

I wonder if it would be worth considering a "fsf-free" component that offers a Packages file listing packages from non-free with the fsf-free tag. Something like that might be non-disruptive and make it simpler for the installer and users to deal with some of the more important alternative stances on freedom to the DFSG.

That is, list reasons why somebody might want to *accept* the package
on his machine (or his redistribution) rather than list reasons why
somebody might wanto to *exclude* it.

That's kinda kludgy for the "free-software / free-software-and-firmware" tags, afaics. Good for the others though, IMO. "free-dist" and "nonprofit-dist" are what CD distributors care about; free/nonprofit-{use,local-mod} is what users of non-free probably care about. Especially as we diverge from the FSF/OSI on things like the GFDL or the Affero license, and others, the fsf/osi-free tags would probably be useful for a variety of people too.

Cheers,
aj