Re: Debian mailing lists fed to googlegroups?

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:03:30AM +0200, Jutta Wrage wrote:
> After seeing the googlegroups spam in some of the debian mailing lists,
> I had a look into googlegroups and saw the meiling lists beeing fed
> into groups there. Is that a known fact and is it accepted?
>
> I am a bit astonished as mailing lists normally are not fed into public
> news servers.

gmane.org does it all the time.  There's also several publically-available
archives of random mailing lists, such as mail-archive.com.

> And the list pages at debian org only mention the public
> archiving on debian.org.

That's because Debian cannot know or control all of the archiving that goes
on.  The lists are public subscription, there's nothing that can be done to
stop it.

- Matt