Re: Asking question

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:37:14AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 03:40:57PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > ke, 2005-03-30 kello 14:21 +0200, Frédéric PEREIRA kirjoitti:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Currently working in a French public library, and thus for the public
> > > utility, I would like to place at the disposal of our readers copies of
> > > your distribution of Linux. Indeed, I estimate that to speak today about
> > > free became a need, would be to only show people who there is an
> > > alternative. Then, I ask to you whether this project is legal, and thus
> > > if I can with complete freedom propose a copy of your distribution to
> > > our readers.
> >
> > The "main" and "contrib" part of Debian are free (libre) software, and
> > that means you can copy and give away them as much as you want. The
> > "non-free" part contains some programs that have restrictions that may
> > be problematic for you.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/intro/free has some more information.
>
> Notice though, that you may need to give out also the sources or at least
> propose them, of the GPLed programs we have there, or provide a written offer
> to give them later.
>
> I am not sure how we handle this in such cases though. Full main/contrib +
> sources is what, 4-5 DVDs by now ?

IIRC you only need to provide them when asked for.  So a written offer
will do.  Anyone who is intrested enough to want the sources probably
wants the latest one's anyway and will have other means of getting
these.

Also it is a library, so you do not _give_ or _sell_ Debian to them,
only loan it out...  In worst case you'd need 1 set of sources for N
sets of binaries.  Is that too bad?

Cheers
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom