Re: New Front Desk members

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 07:27:26PM +0000, Helen Faulkner wrote:
> Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> >Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt and Brian Nelson have recently joined the Front
> >Desk.  I'm currently giving them some training and I have also written
> >documentation on the activities of the Front Desk.  The documentation
> >is available from http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/nm/trunk/doc/  It's not
> >particularly exciting reading, but at least the functions of the Front
> >Desk are documented now.
> Hi,
> I was looking over some of the documentation on the page you mentioned,
> and I noticed that some of the templates assume that the people referred
> to will be male.  [1] assumes that a NM applicant is male.  [2] assumes
> that any DD, or any respectable person who might be contacted to verify
> the applicant's identity will be male.
> Could you please reword these to use gender-neutral language.  My
> suggested solutions for the problematic paragraphs are included below.

Ugh.  English has no gender-neutral third person singular pronoun, which
means that the use of "he" and "his" for an unspecific third party assumes
nothing about his gender.  Your objections to [1] and [2] are patently
false.  (Your rewritings, arbitrarily switching between plural and singular
forms, are clumsy.)

There are useful things for Debian to spend time on.  This is not one of

Glenn Maynard