Re: New Front Desk members

Glenn Maynard wrote:
On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 07:27:26PM +0000, Helen Faulkner wrote:

Ugh.  English has no gender-neutral third person singular pronoun, which
means that the use of "he" and "his" for an unspecific third party assumes
nothing about his gender.

Well, actually that is incorrect. They as a singular, gender neutral pronoun has been used in English for centuries (surely, if Shakespeare used it, its good enough for Debian). See, for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Your objections to [1] and [2] are patently
false.  (Your rewritings, arbitrarily switching between plural and singular
forms, are clumsy.)

Well, I was trying to go with the style used in the rest of those documents and in much of the Debian documentation. But of course there are other available solutions, and I don't claim to be a good writer. You are welcome to suggest more preferable rewordings :)

There are useful things for Debian to spend time on.  This is not one of
them.

Nobody asked you to spend time on this ;)

Helen.