Re: Debian Free Documentation Guidelines was: License of old GNU Emacsmanual

Florian Weimer dijo [Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 02:21:00PM +0100]:
> I'd prefer a slightly different set of freedoms, but this goal is
> impractical.  For instance, I believe that the GNU GPL is not a free
> documentation license because it unnecessarily complicates the
> distribution of printed copies, but it would be ridiculous to outlaw
> all GPLed documentation for this reason.

Well... Remember the GPL does not require you to provide the sources
_together_ with the binary/printout/whatever - It requires you to
provide means to get the sources. So if you print a book that -on an
obvious place, not hidden in the middle of the text... And even there
it would be legal, although it went against the GPL spirit- has the
URL for the place you can refer to in order to get the source, it will
be enough. That does not sound like 'unnecessarily complicated'.

>   * What about non-technical prose?  Does it have a place in Debian at
>     all?  Can we aford some invariant parts, such as license texts,
>     copyright statements and legal disclaimers, credits, mission
>     statements, provided that they are neither executable code nor
>     functional end-user documentation?

Ummmm... Strictly speaking, Debian is not into the business of
providing content just for the sake of it. Now, for example, you have
many tools that can use bible-kjv-text as their data source, and that
makes bible-kjv-text a valid and useful (for some) package.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5554-9450
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23