Re: FW: Mail forwarding in return for Debian donation

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 06:19:32PM +0100, Pete van der Spoel wrote:
> > We don't have any use for money right now. What we have
> > mostly just sits in a bank account getting slowly devalued by
> > inflation. So fund raising exercises aren't really a good idea.
>
> Oh. Okay at least I don't have to feel bad about using Debian and not
> contributing, but I have to say I find this very strange. Surely Debian has
> developers that would love to spend more time working on Debian than on
> their day-jobs, but don't do so because they need to pay the rent etc?

We don't have a lot of money; certainly nowhere near that much. We
just don't have any significant expenses either. The project doesn't
consume money for normal operation.

> Or is the whole Ubuntu thing (where I understand Mark Shuttleworth has hired
> a large number of the senior Debian developers) considered to be the
> solution to this problem?

Hiring developers away from a project, so that they no longer spend
time on it, is not normally considered a good solution.

> And what about Debian itself making a donation to for example FSF Europe?

It's been proposed before, hasn't happened yet. Doesn't look likely to
happen; spending Debian money is very difficult.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |