Re: FW: Mail forwarding in return for Debian donation

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Pete van der Spoel wrote:
> > We don't have any use for money right now. What we have
> > mostly just sits in a bank account getting slowly devalued by
> > inflation. So fund raising exercises aren't really a good idea.
>
> Oh. Okay at least I don't have to feel bad about using Debian and not
> contributing, but I have to say I find this very strange. Surely Debian has

Nah, you don't. But not because of what he wrote :P

I think he is being *very* sarcastic to the fact that it is really, really
hard to get to do some sort of things with Debian money (other than waive a
few travels here and there, and replace equipment that broke), so a lot of
it sits unused in a bank account, and since that account is in a country
where the banking system is a bad joke (USA), it causes a lot of headaches.

> developers that would love to spend more time working on Debian than on
> their day-jobs, but don't do so because they need to pay the rent etc?

For various reasons, Debian money cannot be used to pay developers for their
time doing work for Debian.

> Or is the whole Ubuntu thing (where I understand Mark Shuttleworth has hired
> a large number of the senior Debian developers) considered to be the
> solution to this problem?

Yes, that's how it goes.  Or maybe your workplace value your work in Debian
enough to effectively pay you to do some hours of Debian work per week (by
allowing you to do it on company time), etc.

  Henrique Holschuh