Re: Patent clauses in licenses

On 2004-09-14 19:32:58 +0100 Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:

Both groups list significant numbers licenses as free that terminate
on patent litigation: [...]

The OSI lists no licences as "free".

 From the FSF's commentary on the Academic Free License at
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html:
    Another incompatibility comes from its "Mutual termination for
    Patent Action" clause. Putting aside the difficult question of
    whether this sort of clause is a good idea or a bad one, it is
    incompatible with the GPL.

I'm not convinced that they would consider it the same if the licensed work is patent-afflicted.

And on Apache Software License 2.0:
    We don't think those patent termination cases are inherently a bad
    idea, but nonetheless they are incompatible with the GNU GPL.

The Apache v2.0 is a rather narrower termination than most of the others you cite, which I think is probably free.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
http://www.thewalks.co.uk stand 13,Lynn Carnival,12 Sep