Re: Debian, lists and discrimination

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 05:46:57PM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:29:40AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:29:40PM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> >>Evidence. I would like to see evidence that Debian has not been giving
> >>equal rights to males and women over the past years.
> >
> >The fact that our male / female participation ratio is much lower than even
> >the gender split in IT, let alone the wider community should be enough.
>
> That isn't evidence at all.  All that demonstrates is that males and
> females have fundamentally different interests.

"males and females have fundamentally different interests" is one, possible,
explanation of why Debian has a far lower women / men ratio than general
society.  It doesn't really explain why Debian has a lower women / men ratio
than exists in IT.

> Of course, the men-should-have-tits-and-give-birth crowd has dedicated
> themselves to denying this for the past 50 years.

My wife and I happen to share a common interest in motorcycling, and also in
needlework.  I'm sure your bullshit stereotyping will come up with some
explanation for that.

> >Just because it doesn't say "no wheelchairs" at the door, doesn't mean
> >those
> >stairs aren't going to be a pain in the arse to get up.
>
> He asked you for constructive feedback.

If I ask you for the same, can I expect it?

> Don't assume there are stairs preventing the wheel-chaired person from
> getting onto the basketball court; SHOW THEM to us.  The fact that few
> wheel-chaired people are into playing basketball with normal people

Talk about language shaping perception...

> doesn't mean that the gymnasium is discriminating against them.

What about if you've got two gyms, one which has a number of
wheelchair-basketball players, and one that has none.  Would you perhaps
wonder why one of those gyms had a different representation?

- Matt