Re: Debian, lists and discrimination

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 02:06:35PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > To me, the most obvious fix is to replace debian-women with something
> > like debian-equality or debian-welcome
>
> You know, this is a pretty good idea; it's a pity that the rest of your
> message paints you as such an jerk that it will be ignored.

While I'm not against a general 'equality' list, I don't think it would
be a substitute for the debian-women list.  I don't think it makes sense
to lump together all underrepresented groups and assume that the
solutions to their underrepresentation will be similar.

I think, for example, that Africans are underrepresented in Debian, but
it's rather unclear to me that discussion on that would have much in
common with discussions about women in Debian, or indeed that the
groups of people relevant to discussing the two issues would overlap
much.

--
Moray
http://www.morayallan.com/