Re: Google ads on debian.org

On 2004-12-14 14:35:54 +0000 Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

* Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org) wrote:
  . When we are supposed to generate income with the web page it is a
    commercial web page.
This is, also, wrong.  As mentioned elsewhere, not-for-profit doesn't
mean no-income.

It seems quite correct to me. Not-for-profit is not the same as non-commercial, as you rightly state. However, the poster is commenting on commerciality not not-for-profit status. I can quite understand that some people would not want to donate time towards a commercial enterprise.

  . Several developers agreed to work on Debian and within the Debian
project because it produces Free Software, adheres to a very strict
    freedom policy and the social contract and has no commercial
interests. If I would want to work for commercial bodies, I could
    go to Red Hat, SuSE or Ubuntu.
Again, not-for-profit isn't the same as no-income.  I imagine certain
(German) universities accept money from their students, does that make
them commercial?

Why are you mentioning universities in connection with this point? Universities are fairly clearly commercial, but some of them do not donate to commercial enterprises, which is the problem about hosting a few points earlier.

Anyway, google are dangerous. No special rewards for them.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
 Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/