Re: Questions on code distribution

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 05:23:17PM +0200, Michel Deriaz wrote:
> - How many mirror servers do you rely on for the distribution of your
> Linux distributions, and how many belong to you?

See http://www.debian.org/mirror/list for a full list of public mirrors.
As far as I know, no mirrors are under Debian's control, either.

> - How are the mirror servers organized (hierarchically (i.e., mirror x
> always downloads from mirror y), P2P, ...)?

Hierarchically. Secondary mirrors download from Primary mirrors, which
download from ftp-master.debian.org, all using rsync. There may be
tertiary mirrors, I'm not sure about that part.

http://www.debian.org/mirror/size

> - How often are mirrors updated on average (e.g., once a day, variable)?

Once a day.

http://mirror.debian.org/status.html

> - How do you assure the compatibility between the different packages?

Using package dependencies.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks