Re: Questions on code distribution

Michel Deriaz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a research project on dependency and consistency
> management related to the distribution of large-scale open-source software.
>
> I have a couple of short questions, that you might be able to help me with.
>
> - How many mirror servers do you rely on for the distribution of your
> Linux distributions, and how many belong to you?
> We found for instance that Mandrake depends on around 100 mirror sites,
> and none are under their control.

<http://www.debian.org/mirrors> lists the official ones.
There are more than that for unofficial ones.

http://www.debian.org/mirrors/official
http://www.debian.org/mirrors/push_mirroring

http://www.debian.org/mirrors/size

> - How often are mirrors updated on average (e.g., once a day, variable)?

once a day

> - How much time can elapse between the moment you publish a new version
> to the moment all mirror servers are up-to-date?

There are trace files on the mirrors that will give you datails, iirc.

> - How do you assure the compatibility between the different packages?

Parse error.

Regards,

	Joey

PS: If you had done your homework, you had only asked the last (two) questions.

--
MIME - broken solution for a broken design.  -- Ralf Baechle