Re: GUADEC report

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 18:31:34 -0400, David Nusinow
<david_nusinow@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:43:06PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
> > > Some companies feel that various licenses were
> > > genuine efforts to be DFSG free ...
> >
> > Maybe some companies should genuinely stop
> > trying to invent new free licenses.  Still, if
> >
> >   (a) they feel that they absolutely must have
> >   their own private buggy licenses, yet
> >
> >   (b) they sneer at debian-legal, where the best
> >   expert advice in the world on this topic is
> >   freely available to them,
> >
> > then how much more can we can do to help them?
> > If they want to play the game, they need to
> > learn the rules first.  I do not seem to have
> > any trouble producing DFSG-compliant software,
> > after all, and neither do you.  Why should they?
> > Because they have lawyers?
> >
> > Debian is a shining beacon.  In the end, they
> > will follow us.  To a remarkable extent, whether
> > they realize it or not, they already do.

[none of the above snipped, because I can't find a single shining
example of arrogance among it -- the whole thing is arrogant, in my
opinion]

> This smacks of arrogance. Most -legal participants aren't lawyers, and as such
> have no formal training in actual legal matters. Believe it or not, such
> training does count for something. The point should be to cooperate with these
> people and have actual discussions, not beat them about the head and shoulders
> with ideology that they probably don't understand. This is the sort of thing
> that Matthew is reporting about, and it's also the reason for the recent
> backlash against -legal from within Debian itself.

You said that better than I would have, if I had fallen to my
temptation to reply to Thaddeus.  I agree 100%, and with perhaps more
emotion.

I do have a question....  on an individual package-by-package basis,
who does have final say as to whether or not it follows the DFSG?  The
developer who packages it?  The Release Manager?  Upstream?