Re: Possible violation of the Debian trademark

On 2004-04-17 10:16:22 +0100 Benj. Mako Hill <mako@debian.org> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 07:16:02PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
Anyway, do you really want to persecute businesses who promote
Debian to their customers?

What we want to avoid is having people use the Debian mark to
capitalize off the goodwill created by the Debian project to sell
their own service, support, servers, etc. and to reflect poorly upon
the project when they screw up.

Let's be clear on this: promoting one's own services as Debian is impersonation/passing-off or whatever and seems clearly illegal regardless of the trademark. Promoting services of/for installation of Debian systems is not.

A Debian-desktop domain name seems like it might incorrectly lead
people to this association.

I think neither rendition of the site that I saw was likely to make someone think that they were buying from Debian. It would be nice to have a clearer explanation of the relationship and some more links back, though.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at