Re: The Ineffectual DPL?

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:46:29PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Andrew Suffield wrote:

> >> Voting in real elections makes sense, to stop bad seeds from getting into
> >> office.
> >
> > I don't think there's actually any evidence to support that.
> Hell yes there is.  There would be even more incredibly dangerous people in
> the US government than there already are, if everyone thought that.  "Oh,
> it doesn't matter, Bush and Gore are the same."  (Well, in that case it
> didn't matter because the election was *stolen*, but it's quite clear by
> now that a Gore administration wouldn't have decided to trash environmental
> protection or doctor all the scientific reports, for instance.)

I'd say that election underscores the point, but anyway: I don't think
it matters one whit whether Bush or Gore was elected. The president
doesn't make the decisions, he just takes the credit or blame for them.

The US has always been run by bankers and corporations; whoever is
sitting in the seat, they'll either do what they're told, or be
removed by somebody that will.

I don't see any justification for your claim that a Gore
administration would not have behaved in the same way.

In less capitalistic societies, the dominant forces are usually
those who control public opinion, but the effect is the same.

Democracy is a *myth*, used to placate the masses.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |