Re: Screw non-free.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 02:11:22PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > > Out of date in non-free by arch
> > > -------------------------------
> > > alpha	 72
> > > arm	 78
> > > hppa	 72
> > > i386	  6
> > > ia64	 67
> > > m68k	 59
> > > mips	101
> > > mipsel	103
> > > powerpc	 53
> > > s390	 81
> > > sparc	 80
> > >
> > > Many packages in non-free haven't had consistent versions across all
> > > architectures in over two years.
> >
> > That's not a fault of the maintainers
>
> The users don't care whose fault it is.

That's an issue that needs to be resolved.

My point was that these packages are not out of date because of bugs in
the source packages.

> > and doesn't say anything about the quality of the packages.
>
> That is only true if updates to package in non-free seldom or never
> feature bugfixes.  Do you know that to be the case?

For me the quality of a package lies mostly in the source package.

E.g. I wouldn't consider an XFree86 package to be of low quality if it
was out of date beacuse there was no working i386 autobuilder for some
time.

> > The buildds currently ignore non-free packages.
>
> How do you propose to rectify or work around that?  Will passing Anthony
> Towns's proposed amendment automatically rectify it?
>
> If not, shouldn't we have a plan in place for concretizing our
> reaffirmed support for non-free?

That's a question ajt has to answer.

cu
Adrian