Re: [OT] Re: A freak (but not so freak) idea: User space apt-get install

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:26:51PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Pascal Hakim dijo [Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 02:39:39PM +1100]:
> >
> > 	That's brings up a good point. While Adam is probably joking
> > here, there are a lot of people who want things in the archives either
> > deleted or modified. Yes there are other archives, but they are not
> > our responsability, while stuff on lists.debian.org is.
> >
> > 	How do we deal with stuff that's been forwarded to a list by a
> > virus? How do we deal with a message that was sent by error? How do we
> > deal with a message that was forwarded by a third party without
> > authorization from the author? How do we deal with mistakes?
> >
> > 	We don't seem to have a clear policy on this at the
> > moment. What should we do?

>   Disclaimer / Privacy policy / Legal information
>
>   The mailing lists are public forums.
>
>   All emails sent to the lists are distributed both to the list
>   subscribers and copied to the public archive, for people to browse or
>   search without the need to be subscribed.
>
>   Furthermore, you can browse our mailing lists as Usenet newsgroups. It
>   can be done using a web interface, like Google or Gmane.
>
>   There may be other places where lists are distributed -- please make
>   sure you never send any confidential or unlicensed material to the
>   lists. This includes things like e-mail addresses. Of particular note
>   is the fact that spammers, viruses, worms etc have been known to abuse
>   e-mail addresses posted to our mailing lists.
>
>   Debian maintains the mailing lists in good faith and will take steps
>   to curb all noticed abuse and maintain uninterrupted normal
>   service. At the same time, Debian is not responsible for all mailing
>   list posts or anything that may happen in relation to them.
>
>   Please see our disclaimer of responsibility for more information.

>   Our mailing lists are public forums, and our mailing list archives
>   are public.
>
>   By sending an email to such a public forum, you agree to public
>   distribution of your article. All mails sent to any of our mailing
>   lists (and to the bug tracking system) will be publically distributed
>   and archived in our mailing list archives.
>
>   Any emails sent by any one person directly to the list, or replies by
>   others to those emails sent to the list, are considered published, in
>   accordance with the United States law.
>
>   Obviously the author still owns the copyright to the content of these
>   emails that they have written. However, that does not mean that the
>   Debian Project is under obligation to remove them from a list archive
>   once published. Several legal counsels have reviewed this stance and
>   confirmed it is correct.
>
> ...You will probably find more documents if you really want to ;-)

Neither of those two documents say that we will keep all postings on
the archives, or that we will remove them, they just say that we will
if we want to.

And in the case of a third party forwarding a message without
permission, this bit doesn't even apply:

>   By sending an email to such a public forum, you agree to public
>   distribution of your article. All mails sent to any of our mailing
>   lists (and to the bug tracking system) will be publically distributed
>   and archived in our mailing list archives.

And what happens if I find your home address, and telephone number or
other address you don't want published, and I stick it on a debian
list? Should it stay there?

	Pasc
--
Pascal Hakim                                            +61 4 0341 1672