Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:03:31PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
> > 	Quite. But you too are ignoring one detail: that behavioral
> >  trait is expressed preferentially in one gender; perhaps due to
> >  cultural indoctrination, perhaps due to inherent biology.
>
> I have no idea if this is true.  Moreover, I don't think it matters
> much.  We should stop penalizing meek people no matter what gender
> they are.  Debian should do less bullying, period.  If that has the
> effect of making some women feel more comfortable here who would not
> otherwise take part, all the better.

meekness isn't about bullying.

it's (partially) about perceiving bullying whether it's really there or not.
it is a disability which varies in severity from being mildly shy to being
socially crippled......it is not the fault, or responsibility, of non-meek
people, any more than fully-abled people are at fault for the disabled.

and just as you don't cure quadraplegia by breaking the arms and legs of
healthy people, you don't cure meekness by making healthy people fearful &
timid.

craig