about debian

Hi i just wanted to know some info on debian my friend at college tells me all about it and he says it all good but what it is i was thinking about using debian (im currenly using mandrake) because it has its own installer which makes it easyer to get things and i head alot of good things about "app get". But i heard that debian is pretty hard to install and I just wanted to get the low down details.

Well the main reason why I want to use debian is because Yahoo has made an official messenger and as the latest version of gaim is broken its beginning to get me annoyed and with an official version of yahoo my mum will be pleased (im only 16 so it still normal to live at home ;) ).