Re: unauthorized upload of xfree86 4.3.0-1 to unstable

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:31:46PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:55:38PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > I think you got me wrong (quite possible, considering my language). In
> > fact, that is what I wanted to say: he should rely on trust, and not
> > install fixed rules or technical measures to prevent things like that.
>
> Would it be so bad if dinstall rejected uploads that appeared to be NMUs
> but didn't identify themselves as such in the changelog?
>
> (Figuring out whether the version number was NMU-policy-compliant would
> be more difficult, but probably not impossible.)

Whether a NMU version number is NMU-policy-compliant is perhaps a bit
more difficult, but a version number is a NMU version number if and only
there's a Debian revision that contains a dot [1].

cu
Adrian

[1] Yes, according to your Developer's Reference there's a Debian
    revision in the version number of a NMU for a native package.

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed