Re: RedHat flaked out on me!!!!

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 02:54:50PM -0700, Matthew W. Sanders wrote:
> If I migrate all of my systems to Debian, you aren't going to drop support
> on me are you?  What is the foreseeable future of support on your product?
> RedHat has me $#$%$#$#@.....  Why would I want to upgrade to another one of
> their products after they sold me out?  Please tell me If I buy a copy off
> the shelf I can update it for a while....

I have on my desk at home a system that I first installed in 1997 or
1998 that is still going strong, running the latest Debian software,
automatically updated through the years.  I am not unusual in this.  In
fact, I have not even booted from a Debian install CD since the original
installation.

I have no doubt that Debian will be around for a long time.  Debian
continues to support architectures that really are not even sold
anymore, such as pre-PowerPC Macintosh machines.  I have such a machine
(a DEC Alpha) and I am not concerned about the future Debian support for
it.  (RedHat, OTOH, yanked support for Alpha several years before they
did that to PCs).

PC hardware is far more common than Alpha, and so I would say you have
no need to worry at all.

-- John