Re: [cbeasley@noment.net: Debian Question Regarding Postgresql Replication]

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 08:30, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Perhaps you can respond to this posting on -project if nobody else
> responds.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from cbeasley <cbeasley@noment.net> -----
>
> From: cbeasley <cbeasley@noment.net>
> Subject: Debian Question Regarding Postgresql Replication
> Date: 25 Nov 2003 17:42:00 -0500
> To: debian-project@lists.debian.org
>
> Dear Debian staff,
>
> I am working to find a replication solution for my employers
> Postgresql Databases.  The company has tested and taken a great liking
> to Debian and has a plan to set it as a company standard.  However, we
> use Postgresql Databases and it seems that none of the postgresql
> projects claim to support Debian.

I'm sure you must be aware of the postgresql packages which I maintain
for Debian.  Version 7.4 is packaged and available in experimental and
will soon, I hope, transfer to unstable and thence to testing.

> Before I proceed with attempting to compile and test feasibility of
> the various projects available I wanted to know if there has been any
> solution successfully implemented within the Debian OS to your
> knowledge.

I don't know of any packaging of replication projects.  My own
requirements have not so far included replication, and no one else has
requested it either.  In addition, upstream packages have been for the
most part commercial until recently.  However, I am happy to take on the
task of packaging replication if there is demand for it.  I seem to
recall from the PostgreSQL mailing lists that some form of replication
will be in 7.5, and I believe that the upstream developers regard this
as having quite a high priority.  However that is probably 9 months off.

> Any information you could provide would be of great assistance.  The
> alternative I am trying to avoid is arguing the case for reverting
> back to RedHat.  Again, the company has grown really fond of the many
> benefits of using your OS.  Thank you in advance for any information
> that may be offered.

If you have made any assessment of different replication projects,
please let me know what you think of them.  The one essential for my
packaging any project is that it should be DFSG free.

     "The earth is the LORD'S, and the fullness thereof; the
      world, and they that dwell therein."       Psalms 24:1