Re: Trusted Debian/Adamantix

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 11:23:24PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Please post more about this.  I did not find any other messages from
> or about this committee.

The trademark committee is an SPI committee led by Greg Pomerantz of
Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton with representatives of the SPI
board of directors, the Debian project, and other SPI member
projects. While we're intentionally trying to keep the numbers and the
involvement of members high feel free to write to Greg about joining
the list. I believe gpomerantz@cgsh.com will work.

> I am worried that this committee may create a restrictive policy
> without member participation.

The committee will create a policy that the representatives of SPI and
Debian are both happy with. Once we have something, Debian, and/or
other projects (SPI associated or otherwise) will be able to use, or
not use, the policy at their discretion.

> I hope that they can frame an exclusive policy "you may do anything
> except X Y Z" rather than an inclusive one "you may only do X Y Z".

I can't speak to these specific examples We're going to have to work
within the limitations of trademark law and the limits of what is
legally enforceable.

Regards,
Mako

--