Re: Unidentified subject!

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:01:25PM +0100, Andrew wrote:
> I was wondering what the reaction has been within the Debian world
> regarding SCO and the 2.4 kernel. Will Debian remove parts that are judged
> proprietory, regress to the 2.2 kernel, wait for any legal move against
> Debian itself or move more strongly to GNU/HURD?

It's important to distinguish between SCO hot air and actual legal
claims.  In terms of legal proceedings, SCO is *only* accusing IBM
of breaking a contract.  SCO is not making a case about copyright
infringement, and is not claiming copyright on any part of Linux.
They only do that in interviews and press releases, not in any
legal action so far, and they have refused to publish any evidence
for their informal claims.

With that in mind, I think the best action for Debian will be to
wait and see what happens, and to start a betting pool for SCO's
bankruptcy announcement.

If you're still worried, I suggest that you get a Linux license
from SCO.  You can get one for free at
  ftp.sco.com:/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1.1/Workstation/CSSA-2003-020.0/SRPMS/linux-2.4.13-21D.src.rpm

Richard Braakman