Java Distribution

Hi,

we are a number of Java-based projects:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jos/ (OS)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jdistro/ (Desktop)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scope/ (MVC Framework)
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/cybop/ (Component Framework)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/resmedicinae/ (Application)

and were lately discussing about how best to collaborate. Some of us
proposed something like a "Java-oriented, optimized and enhanced
distribution of GNU/Linux" project that:
- focusses on integration and feedback
- makes the Java projects more compatible
- distributes a collection of "friendly" applications that are designed to
work together
- works to "improve" or "upgrade" existing Java applications to run
side by side
- improves the out-of-box experience
- helps define what it takes to build, not just a Java application that
works, but a Java application that works with other Java applications

Now, we wonder if another project is already trying to do this?
If so, we would like to know more about it.
Is that a goal for Debian?

There used to be the http://sourceforge.net/projects/redtea/ project
that set out to build a Java equivalent of RPM (RedHat Package Manager).
It was "red" because of RedHat. It was "tea" in response to Java (coffee).
The idea was that, with an equivalent of RPM, Java products could be
distributed similar to the way products are distributed on Linux. The
community wasn't ready for yet another RPM. Is .DEB the solution?
It seems that it might be better to determine how Java applications
might be tested for "compatibility" and help authors distribute their
products.

Thanks,
Christian