Re: Better package organization

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 08:58:28AM -0400, manowar@magicwood.ru wrote:

>    First, I propound you to make the detailed classification of packages,
> like in the International Patent Classification (IPC) or US Patent
> Classification (you can browse it at http://www.uspto.gov).

There is work in progress in this area.  Start here:

http://deb-usability.alioth.debian.org/debtags/

to help.

>    2.1. the prototypes of this program (the programs/applications that can
> do the same things as this program can do, for example, iptables have
> ipchains as prototype). It would be helpful to add the back-relationships
> from the old programs to the new ones (from ipchains to iptables). If I
> know about one program I can find another better program.
>
>    2.2. Describe the differences between this program and its prototypes.
> So users can easly find the program within classification and make the
> final choice with the help of prototypes and differences.

Are you suggesting software to do this, or to use these ideas as guidelines
for writing package descriptions?  The current guidelines are here:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-desc-basics

--
 - mdz