Re: Why "free" shouldn't have to mean "complicated"

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:37:39AM +0200, Benoit Peccatte wrote:
>
> > Do you expect users who don't know anything about linux to product a
> > useful bug report ?
>
> Sure.  A useful bug report is one that gives enough information to allow
> developers to understand and reproduce a problem so they can work on
> fixing it.  In a large number of cases simply explaining what steps are
> taken to get the bug to show up gives enough information and there's
> nothing Linux-specific about that.

In fact, I'd expect a non-experienced user to be able to file a quite
useful bug report.  These users are the best method of finding usability
bugs, and things that just don't work as expected.

An experienced linux user is used to how things are done, and might not
see a quirk of a package as being a problem.

A bug report that turns out not to be an actual bug might result in better
documentation, which is a win for both experienced users and new users.

Mike