[OT] Re: Debian reliability growth

Joey wrote:
> If you install a Debian stable system, you are (more or less)
> guaranteed the system doesn't change its behaviour during its
> lifetime, except for security updates, corrections for severe problems
> and license violations.

This is not true.  All recent releases at least ship an
apt/sources.list pointing to "stable", which can cause unwanted
upgrades when people do not look close enough.

I've seen this already, with a potato box half-upgraded to woody, and
the customer wondering why his Debian box was not working correctly
any more.  This box ran a critical app for them, and someone just
installed a couple of new packages as they were used to, without any
problem up to woody's release :(

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
Debian-related: <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: