Re: LSB Compliance

I want to adopt a platform that I know. I know Red Hat, where the files are located etc. I don't know Debian. The reassurance I have with RH (or Suse for ex.) is that they have already standardized their distro and therefore the OS is not in motion - I can expect everything to be tomorrow where it is today. We are writing applications for commercial sale on Linux. I want our app to install and run in a consistent way. Since Debian isn't LSB I don't know what the differences are and don't have time to learn them.

Can you offer suggestions?

- Asad

Martin Schulze wrote:

Asad Quraishi wrote:
I have seen in your past press releases that you were involved in LSB compliance. Why is your distro not LSB compliant? Maybe I've missed something but I did check to see which vendors were compliant and you do not seem to be there.

The specification was released after Debian woody was released, hence,
there is only little chance of fixing the remaining incomplientnesses.
Debian is mostly LSB compliant.  It was not a release goal to postpone
the release of woody even longer so the LSB spec/testuite was released
and we could react to it.

If I'm right then this is a shame. From my vantage point (as both business person and technologist) the LSB standards are important as moving between vendors is that much less painful. It's one of the reasons I went with Red Hat among distros - although now, for other reasons, I would like to move to Debian. Is it something you are working on?

As Roland said, Debian sid (unstable) should be compliant, maybe testing
as well.

What exactly is it that you are missing and which is the reason you
cannot use the distribution you like to but are bound to another?
Quite often, there is a way to fix that gap for you, if you really
want.

(I may be wrong, since I don't remember all details, so please bear
with me.)

Regards,

	Joey