FWD: Re: comment on "User Review of Debian GNU/Linux"

I hope I'm not speaking out of place, I'm a long time user first time poster,
recent subscriber. Id like to point out that there's a very good reason Linux
and debian are so popular. For many people, there is no choice. Unix is and has
been the industrial standard for a long long time. Debian as the most popular
Linux among programmers has become the most user friendly, and easy to maintain
Linux. It doesn't take a spock from star trek to see why so many people use it.
Forgive me for generalizing but it seems to me like most of the complaints in
a recent review of debian fell into two categories. First, concerns for the
user , and second, differences from windows.

As for the user, Unix, and Linux were made by and for programmers and the reason
it has become so easy to use and robust, is because many of the people who use
it, when they see something wrong, they fix it. Debian, has become the most
popular Linux because more good programmers use it. In order to maintain that
edge over other Linux it must continue to cater to, and attract good
programmers. I'm not saying that its for experienced users because it doesn't
take a lot of experience to make a bash script, it doesn't take any experience
at all to test run an installation system. A wide range of people with
different skill levels can be useful. However if someone who can barely write a
bash script tries to make changes to things they don't understand they can end
up having bad changes slip by quality control and cause trouble. This problem
is solved in the commercial world by teaching windows first so by the
time a student learns about Unix they already have some discipline and some c
like programming classes. I may be wrong about this but it seems to me the same
problem is solved in the open source community by not making the operating
system friendly to the very lowest skill level. This way people who are just
beginning have to get assistance from a live human being, usually someone they
know or people on an irc channel. People don't like to help people who act like
they know everything, so generally in order for beginners to learn what they
need to know to continue learning, they need to display a certain level of
humility, in order to induce other people to help them. In other words if
things were too easy for users they would try to become programmers before they
are ready, and although there is a quality control mechanism to deal with
exactly that situation, its all volunteer and so, reducing the strain on it is
good.

As for the differences with windows, it would be a mistake to use windows as a
standard. Windows was originally meant to look like x so that people would
believe they were getting an industrial tool like x. It focused on the way it
looked and neglected the way it ran programs. Some things that windows does may
seem like the right way to do things because you learned windows first but
believe me, the differences are different for a reason, and trying to do things
the windows way would make doing them the Unix way less efficient.
Furthermore, Microsoft is aggressively against Linux. Any standard Linus matches
Microsoft will change, they have proven that again and again. So following
Microsoft standards is not only technologically retarded but administratively
costly.

In conclusion the person who wrote the review seemed like a smart fellow, maybe
a little too smart, and should perhaps apply some of that intelligence towards
considering how phenomenally popular debian has become, and why, before taking
too strong a stance regarding its suitability for people who may or may not be
quite like himself.

Rich Graham

E-Mail: rich59123@attbi.com
Date: 05-Mar-2003
Time: 06:46:05

 Switching to windows if you are used to Unix
  is a lot harder than switching
  to Unix if you are used to windows.

This message was sent by XFMail