Re: Debian questions

#include <hallo.h>
* kam6 [Sat, Mar 01 2003, 10:06:01PM]:
> Hello - I am very interested in installing Debian Linux in my computer, but
> your webpage is extremely confusing:

When the webpage (the page! not the manuals referenced there) is
confusing, you report this to debian-www@lists.debian.org, if you have
typical newbie problems, you ask on debian-user@lists.d.o, if you think
that base installation docs can be improved, you report it (and,
important, how to improve it) to debian-boot, etc.

> I have downloaded a file called "debian-30r1-i386-binary-1.iso". What
> confuses me is that first it's written that 7 cds have to be burnt, and then
> it says that only the first one has to be used. So can I just install debian
> with a cd created from the above file? Or do I need the 7 cds? Is the
> installer going to ask me for the 7 cds?

Of course not, why don't you trust the docs? You need only the first CD
for basic installation and can fetch the rest as needed from the net.

> The Jigdo procedure is also rather confusing. The program works on a command
> window. I managed to also download a file called
> "debian-update-3.0r1-i386.iso.tmp" Do I need this file only to install
> Debian? Should I just burn a cd with this file?

No, it seems that something was wrong with the download. Could you
describe _what_ does actually confuse you and how this could be
improved?

> 2. Why there isn't just a direct, straightforward way - without any
> commands, just a wizard - to install Debian? Why the lengthy manual? Putting

Yes, you seem like the perfect Knoppix user. http://www.knoppix.net/

Our manuall is needed for people that want to know what they are doing
and not beeing another victims of stupid Wizards.

> this into perspective, this is a major deterrent for people who want to get
> out from Microsoft and get into Linux asap. If there was an easy installer
> and easy guidelines, Microsoft's days left would be very few.

Dumb polemics, won't impress anyone here.

> 3. Yes, your website has a lot of information but it's very, very confusing.
> In my search for a very straightforward, and simple way to install Debian

It sound that you do not want to use Linux. You want Windows, but
zero costs and much, much more cool, userfriendly, bla, bla, bla.

> Like I said, I am very, very interested in getting into Linux; but there
> should be a really straightforward way to install it, and compatibility

Knoppix.

> issues should be solved and automatized in a "plug-and-play" type fashion.

Knoppix.

> Once the "geek" details are put in the background for good, general
> customers will avidly drop Microsoft and get openly into Linux. Debian seems
> ideal because it is not trying to commercialize as Red Hat, Mandrake or
> Lindows; and it's of course open source.

We basically give a f*k on Microsoft politics so it is a bad argument
here. And Lindows is a fork of Debian, you know...

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Einer Liebhaberin wird die Treue viel leichter als einer Gattin.
		-- Jean Paul