Debian questions

Hello - I am very interested in installing Debian Linux in my computer, but
your webpage is extremely confusing:

1. What is, simply and straightforwardly, the way to install Debian in a
clean system which had previously Win2000?
I have reformatted the hard drive. It's clean, and ready. Intel system,
Pentium II 266 Mhz. ATI AIW video 7500 video card. Two M-Audio cards (yes,
they're both Linux compatible).

I have downloaded a file called "debian-30r1-i386-binary-1.iso". What
confuses me is that first it's written that 7 cds have to be burnt, and then
it says that only the first one has to be used. So can I just install debian
with a cd created from the above file? Or do I need the 7 cds? Is the
installer going to ask me for the 7 cds?

The Jigdo procedure is also rather confusing. The program works on a command
window. I managed to also download a file called
"debian-update-3.0r1-i386.iso.tmp" Do I need this file only to install
Debian? Should I just burn a cd with this file?

2. Why there isn't just a direct, straightforward way - without any
commands, just a wizard - to install Debian? Why the lengthy manual? Putting
this into perspective, this is a major deterrent for people who want to get
out from Microsoft and get into Linux asap. If there was an easy installer
and easy guidelines, Microsoft's days left would be very few.

3. Yes, your website has a lot of information but it's very, very confusing.
In my search for a very straightforward, and simple way to install Debian
(I'm hoping for something like "insert CD and follow wizard on the screen")
I ended up at a "mini how-to" explaining about how to configure a 3-button
mouse. This is a default feature on Windows; does this mean that even the
mouse has to be reconfigured to be used with Debian? How many more basic
pieces of hardware have to be reconfigured to be used with Debian?

Like I said, I am very, very interested in getting into Linux; but there
should be a really straightforward way to install it, and compatibility
issues should be solved and automatized in a "plug-and-play" type fashion.
Once the "geek" details are put in the background for good, general
customers will avidly drop Microsoft and get openly into Linux. Debian seems
ideal because it is not trying to commercialize as Red Hat, Mandrake or
Lindows; and it's of course open source.

Carlos Najar
Calgary, AB  Canada