Re: Debian as a social group and how to develop it better

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002, Xavian-Anderson Macpherson wrote:

> On Monday 2002 December 02 10:13, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Xavian-Anderson Macpherson wrote:
> > > On Monday 2002 December 02 02:50, Martin Schulze wrote:
> >
> > > Why (if everything is the same), would anyone have to recomplie for
> > > binaries, if the binaries were made once by the packagers and remained in
> > > their original condition?
> >
> > Because, and your assumption es totally wrong, nothing is the same,
> > rather than everything.
>
> I was specifically speaking in the context of my (perfect world) example.  I
> said IF!!  Not IS!!  I know everything IS NOT the same.  That's why I wrote
> this!  Here, let me make this simple.  If ALL of linux, were handled in the
> same way as the KERNEL,

 - it would not work on (n-1) architectures out of the box but would
   require huge patching
 - there would be even more distributions than there are ATM.

>                                                Am I correct that Linus is the
> only one who approves of the changes to the kernel?

No. Different people handle different branches. And then there are even
more semi- and un- official versions distributed from ftp.kernel.org and
other places.

Also be aware that one cannot build _the_ binary image which works in
all possible scenarios. There are reasons to build things differently.

The same applies to other software as well.

Also be aware that software which builds for and works on ia32 does not
automagically work on all other platforms as well.

In short what you want is not possible and probably never will. Not even
in a perfect world.

					yours,
					peter

    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal